JANUARY 20 2018
YO ADRIANNE, IS THAT…COOKIE DOUGH?
Many of my students and friends have been asking lately about the bite-sized snacks I always pack for between classes or workouts. Those “bite-sized snacks” are DATE POWER BITES, and I eat them for breakfast, snacks, before a workout and, sometimes, even for dessert. They look like cookie dough, boost like protein bars, and taste like heaven. All natural heaven.
Dates are a seriously underrated power food. I know, I know, you hear that all the time—acai, quinoa, matcha—it sometimes seems like so-called power foods are popping up too often these days to keep track of. I agree. But if dates aren’t one of the “power foods” you subscribe to, you might want to reconsider. Aside from giving a boost of energy, dates have numerous health benefits including:
- Reduced blood pressure
- Weight loss
- Enhanced digestion
- Heart health
- Health in pregnancy and delivery
- Reduction of stroke risk
- Improved brain health
So, I satisfy my mid-day snack cravings with something that boosts both mood and health.
Making DATE POWER BITES is so easy and the best part is you can customize to your liking.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (alternative) milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tbsp chia seed
- 1/2 tbsp hemp seed
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, walnuts, or any nut of choice
- Extra 1/2 cup of any of the seeds or nuts above to roll the balls in
(Other fun options: add matcha powder for some caffeine, roll in cacao powder of coconut flakes for some sweetness, or add in any spice that sounds good)
- In a food processor or blender, blend dates until chopped and sticky. Put in a bowl and refrigerate.
- Blend all DRY ingredients in food processor
- Add dates and all other wet ingredients into processor and combine until sticky
- Put back in the refrigerator for a few hours (I usually put them in the freezer for about 20 minutes)
- Take out when ready to roll into bite size balls and coat in the spice or nut of your choice
I’m always looking for fun new ways to mix up my DATE POWER BITES, so reach out to me on the contact page to share your feedback and ideas!
Note: picture features DATE POWER BITES rolled in coconut flakes and pumpkin seeds.